After the chairlift we got back into our car and drove down to the harbour to do a cruise up the Cataract Gorge. We were the only passengers at 3.30pm but Jeremy was more than happy to take us round the harbour, telling us lots of information and then up the gorge.
These beautiful units on the harbour had been Jeremy's home until just recently. They loved living there, with it;s restaurants and shops nearby but decided they needed more space when their grandchildren come to visit.
The harbour foreshore on the Tamar River is being redeveloped now that the mills and silos are no longer used for their intended purposes. They are being turned into a convention entre and residential buildings surrounded by parkland. They will also rebuild the old Kings Wharf which used to service international ship but has not been used and let run down since WWII.
Some of the impressive period houses along the Tamar River telling of a past prosperous time.
The beginning of the gorge where sits an old flour mill which ran a sleuce down the rock walls of the gorge carrying fresh water for use in the mill. The sleuce was installed by Welsh miners who came out to work in a mine in the 1800's which went broke while they were on their journey out here. The money from building the sleuce paid for their return to Wales.
This house, the only one on the gorge can be hired out for functions. There is a walking path all the way along the gorge back to the chairlift.
When we got back to the carpark we were amused to see a lady walking two ferrets on leashes.